Friday, February 6, 2009

Its hard to sell 3 lbs.

[Originally posted to Facebook on 2/2/09]

I have been pseudo-dieting since October of last year and have lost 13 lbs to date. If I had been serious that whole time about my eating, I could have lost 42 lbs or so by now. That's 30 lbs more. I suck.

So last week, Sunday to be exact, I decided to "get my eating under control." I have been diligently tracking my eating and trying to keep my weight watcher points to a maximum of 30. For my weight, I am allowed 31-36 points per day. So you see, I am trying to be aggressive; and its working. I lost 3 lbs last week. Tangible evidence of my commitment. Yes, I felt hungry a lot. Yes, I wanted to eat something for no other reason than I wanted it. But I didn't cheat. I didn't give in. And I lost 3 lbs. That is encouraging.

But, you know. Dieting, and yes this IS a diet. Not a lifestyle change, not a new day, not a new life. It's a diet. I hate the new-age spin people place upon the obvious. Dieting is won in the trenches. You make one big decision at the very beginning and that is to commit to losing weight. The rest of the decisions (and there are thousands of them) are small day-to-day, meal-to-meal, minute-to-minute decisions. Success and how much you see of it is the direct result of all those small decisions.

Saturday was Ben's birthday party. We had friends and food. That was a hard situation but not as hard as I thought it would be after a week of dieting. I worked out hard on Saturday morning, ate very little during the day, and that night at the party I had 2 slices of pizza and LOTs of raw veggies with 2 tbsp of ranch dressing for dipping. In total I had 39 points. Not too bad. Sunday I only had 21 points to help make up for the fact I went over my allowed points the day before.

What is discouraging is that I have to repeat last week's performance 39 more times to reach my goal. That's almost 10 months boys and girls! Ugh. I so need a montage.

1 comment: